ECouncil is currently trialing (from February 2014 to February 2015) a new two tiered permit system for trees above 4 metres.
During the trial a permit fast track application system is in place for trees between 4 and 6 metres tall and for trees that fall within one of the exempt categories listed in section B of the Tree Preservation Regulatory Controls.
The permit application will be processed free of charge and does not require inspection. It does require you to provide a photograph of the subject tree/s.The permit will be issued within one (1) week.
For all other trees, a permit must be obtained by completing a Tree Inspection Application Form.
Exempt Tree Work:
- Any tree having a height not exceeding 4 metres and a trunk diameter not greater than 150mm (measured at 1 metre above the ground)
- Pruning of dead branches. Council encourages that such pruning works are undertaken by a qualified Arborist necessary and in accordance with Australian Standard AS4373-2007 – Pruning of Amenity Trees
- Pruning of tree branches that are within 2 metres of electric powerlines as required by State Legislation (Council encourages that such pruning works are undertaken by a qualified Arborist where necessary and in accordance with AS4373-2007)
- Pruning or removal of fruit trees and flowering fruit trees (Prunus sp, Malus sp, Citrus sp)
- Pruning and reshaping of Cypress Pines (Cuppressus sp, Chamaecyparis sp) not greater than 10 % of whole canopy
- Pruning or removal of Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia sp) with a height less than 6 metres
- Pruning or removal of any tree of a tree species that has been declared a noxious plant in the Lane Cove local government area under the Noxious Weeds Act 1993
- Pruning or removal of any trees belonging to any of the following species of trees: This Tree Preservation Order prohibits the ringbarking, cutting down, topping, lopping, removing, injuring or wilful destruction of any tree within the local government area of Lane Cove having a height greater than 4 metres and a diameter greater than 150 millimetres (measured at 1 metre above the ground) excepting where the consent of Council is first obtained.